Facebook now supports hashtags
I remember when I was in social media class and asked why hardly anyone was using hashtags on Facebook. The consensus at the time was that Facebook frowned on their use.
Me being who I am, I decided to use them any way, thinking eventually that the #ZuckerbergCrew would eventually come around. I mean, honestly, with over 5 billion posts a day, there has to be a way to find your demographic aka niche other than the quirky search function right? And today, I'm pleased to announce that they have!
So, what does this mean for your marketing strategy when using hashtags on Facebook? I have a few ideas and I'm sure that you have a couple of your own and I'd love to hear them. In the mean time, here are a few things you can do with the hashtags in Facebook:
- You can use hashtags in your advertising.
- You can use the search bar to find hashtags.
- The standard number of hashtags on FB is 2 or three.
- Hashtags can be used in the post or in the comments section
- Hashtags won't make you rank higher in the algorithm.
- You can click on the hashtag and reply, just like on Twitter.
- Using a hashtag will not make your posts public if you've got private settings on!
Now that you have an idea of the ins and outs of using hashtags on Facebook, will you begin to use them?
Since this is fairly new to Facebook, I'm interested to see if using them, hashtags, in advertising, will create better engagement. I'm also waiting to see if they'll allow you to, eventual, create an audience using hashtags "only" and if the hashtags will be placed in news feeds based on them?